Sunday 7 March 2010

Birthday bunting and bobbins

How fabulous is this cake, made by a lovely niece who knows what brings a smile to my face. Thank you!
My birthday weekend coincided with the monthly opening of the wonderful Sewing Machine Museum. Behind an industrial facade on a busy south London street, up the steps to the first floor...

There are over 600 sewing machines, from the earliest, in all shapes and sizes, including Queen Victoria's and and cute kids versions.






The museum is open the first Sunday of the month between 2pm and 4pm. Particularly satisfying is that this collection belongs to the business owner and his industrial machine business is still going strong after many years.

Birthday treats also included buttons to wear, seeds, vintage tins and jangley jewellery and homemade handcream. Very treated. And of course a trip to the pub, adorned with teacups and bowls club memorabilia. Treated.




2 comments:

LOULA BELLE AT HOME said...

My sewing machine wouldn't look out of place with those!!! I love it though, and I don't think I could get rid of it. It will have to be my daughters and become an heirloom as it was passed to me by my mum!

The Custards said...

This looks marvellous - I will check out the museum next time I pop to London...I think I have one or two of those child sized ones!